7/12/2010

Sunday Potluck Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

There is nothing better than a bunch of good Christian women getting together to feed the masses. At my church, we'll eat for a slew of reasons.  Someone died, someone was born, someone is leaving or joining. We make food when folks are sick and when they get better.  I've been a member of this church for as long as I can remember and one thing is for sure....Those women can cook.

I've gotten to an age now that it's only right that I start doing my share - truth be told - that time past a while ago.  So, this last weekend I pulled my weight.

I took a couple recipes from my new favorite cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks - and also nabbed a casserole recipe from my Mama.  Three dishes in total and just pray that one turns out okay.  Last thing you want to do is bring crappy food to a Sunday Potluck. And trust me, you'll know if it's crappy....It'll be the casserole dish left with only one scoop out. Then you have to make the walk of shame to the big garbage can and dump the leftovers out.

Here's the casserole I took from Mama..It turned out pretty well and pretty easy to make.  (full recipe at the bottom)

Here's what you'll need



Saute up the green peppers and onion with 4 tbsp of butter - just until soft



Add the soft bread crumbs, corn and eggs.  Mix it all together and then pour into an 8 inch, greased, baking dish



Melt the last tablespoon of butter, mix with the dry bread crumbs and sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.



Take out the casserole



Sit down and enjoy a job well done with a cold beer and read about Cheesecake



Have your husband and daughter do the dishes



Next time I'm going to try without green peppers and double the onion and also see if sweet corn would make a difference.  Now I will say that my husband thought it could use more salt...However, he and my daughter aren't happy unless they are licking salt off of crackers...So, if you fall into that category....go for it.


Corn Casserole
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped onion
5 tbsp butter - divided
2 cups soft bread crumbs
2 cans (8 1/2 oz) cream style corn
1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn - drained
2 eggs
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

3 comments:

Meg said...

Sounds good...and I think I'll try it this weekend for our church potluck! Thanks!

MommaKiss said...

i'm seeing way too many gooooooood recipes around today. that's fat free, right?

mumma boo said...

You had me at 4 tbsp butter. How can something NOT be tasty with that much butter involved?