It's been an interesting couple weeks here on the home front.  School officially ended - and summer camp officially started.  To her, it's a big freakin' deal. To me - it just means I don't have homework duty and don't have to worry about school uniforms.  Other than that, it's the same routine, same school, same kids and same weekly bill.

Oh, we also bought a shed. That was the other interesting part - but I'm sure y'all don't give a crap about my new shed.

So, we've decided to transition to public school in the Fall and there's all this paperwork I have to fill out.  Apparently the lady that takes the paperwork is taking the whole month of July off so I had to get it done quickly. Doctors notes, original birth certificate and the original Deed for the house.  Yea.  I have no freakin' idea where that is.  So in it's place I took our mortgage bill, a water bill and a electric bill - all of them show our address & phone number. I assumed it would be enough.

I was wrong.  Apparently she has a "check list" that she goes through for registration and it clearly says ON THE CHECKLIST, "Deed".  Therefore I have to have the deed.  Think about it, y'all! She breaks the rule for one parent and the next thing you know the whole public school system is down the tubes! Parents signing their children up for school with magazine subscriptions - junk mail - and all those other things that read "Resident" in your mailbox.

I also managed to piss her off.  WITHOUT EVEN TRYING.  I was raised to say Ma'am and Sir. So, every time she asked me a question I would say "Yes Ma'am".  It wasn't until the whole meeting was over that she turned to me and said "By the way, My name is Sally - Not Ma'am".  Well shit. I'm making a GREAT first impression. My kid is going to get the teacher that picks his nose or won't actually memorize her name until the school year is almost over.

And lastly, since I figured I had already stuck my foot in my mouth, I mentioned that I'm very nervous about the bus.  "What are the procedures? Does she get help finding her classroom? Is there a buddy system or something? I'm just nervous she'll get lost or get on the wrong bus."

"Well, I certainly can't say we've never lost a child.  But they always turn up"

This is why I drink.

5 comments:

Tracie said...

The original deed for your house? You've got to be kidding me. I have no idea where to start looking for that or my kids' birth certificates.

justmakingourway said...

Yeah - I would not be able to tell you where our deed is if you paid me! I mean, okay, I have a vague idea but that is only because I'm kind of a slob savant. I'm really messy, but I can usually put my hands on what I'm looking for in not too long a time.

I'm not proud of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That seems a bit extreme. The deed to your house? What if you rent?
And the attitude about the bus and your concerns would totally tick me off.

MommaKiss said...

i'm really interested in this here shed.
heh.
my kid is going to kindy in the fall. the paperwork is beyond crazy. she seems like the kind of woman who would be snapping gum...am i remotely correct?

mumma boo said...

Original deed? Really? Do you even get a copy of that? Don't worry about the bus situation - she'll be fine. One way I helped Cheeks when she first started was to find out the route the bus would take and then drive it with her, pointing out landmarks, etc., so she'd recognize her surroundings and how close to the house she was. I was afraid she wouldn't get off at the right stop because she'd be yakking so much!