My husband and I were not on the first wave of consumers that jumped on the Tivo/DVR idea. Admittedly, we were intrigued, but it took us a little while to get there. As a matter of fact, my husband gave me my first Tivo as a Christmas gift in 2003.

One of the best presents I've ever gotten.

Now five years later - I honestly don't know how ANYONE survives without one. Well, maybe those people who don't watch tv...or (gasp) those folks that don't even own a tv...But I don't associate myself with those people. Freaks.

Having a Tivo if you have a child is also a must. Having children can be very unpredictable...So, there are no worries if in the middle of Survivor baby needs a diaper change. Just hit pause. No harm - No foul. It also works as they get older. My tivo is filled with Season Passes to Sesame Street, Little Einsteins and Johnny & The Sprites.

So, you see - my tivo is also HELPING me. Good device...gooood device.

However, I've noticed over the last few months that there are some shows that we just aren't watching. Even though we've asked Tivo to record them for us - when we finally get her down and asleep - we're choosing not watch them. We go for something else. We've got weeks of certain shows just piling up.

The shows that are piling up..... shows like CSI. It's just so dark - so depressing. I used to LOVE that show. Always interested to see who the new bad guy was - how were they going to crack the case - all the cool gadgets they would use in the lab.

But now I find myself saying "Can't they EVER turn the lights on"...

(as a side note: if you aren't watching Bones - you totally should be. All the procedural drama like CSI but with funny characters and humor. You get all the cool forensic crap without all the gloom and doom. Very cool show)

I just don't have enough time in my day to give up and I would rather watch someone get voted out of the tribe or see if Meredith is ever going to get her head out of her ass.

So, what about you? What shows do you watch? What shows have you cut off?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the "doesn't watch TV" category... we only use it for the Wii, which we rarely use (but still love)!! Guess I'm one of those freaks!

miko564 said...

I had just gotten over my addiction withdrawals to DVR, and you go and post this...I have the shakes again now, thanks.

I used to love "Dirty Jobs", but it seems to have gone by the wayside this year.

I only watch two Network shows.

"The Big Bang Theory"- Monday at 8, if you haven't seen this, you should. It is as funny as anything I have seen in a while.

"30 Rock"- Thursday at 9:30. I have a huge crush on Tina Fey, geeky-beautiful and hilarious.

Big Kahuna said...

First ... you must never use the word GOTTEN again !

I still like NCIS very much because I like all of the characters. Bones is quite good and I think the good doctor is a closet hottie. I would really like to watch Boston Legal, but the writers keep filling the show with liberal crap (and stating it as fact) that just throws me off my feed. So I try to tune in to the last 5 minutes and watch just the last bit with the two guys on the balcony with Scotch & Cigars. Shatner is a great comic.

Carolyn...Online said...

I don't have Tivo. But I swear I do watch tv. I am not a freak. And Bones? great show. But since we are Tivoless I must suffer the whims of programming times and children.

Anonymous said...

I swear we share genetic material - or at least a psychic connection when it comes to TiVo. I've done the same thing - I set up all my season passes, and once I watched one or two episodes, I started deleting them. I've kept Bones (great show!), Eli Stone, House, ER and the original CSI. Rescue Me will be on there when it starts up again in January. That's plenty to keep me slack-jawed at night. Ha.

miko564 said...

Kahuna- "gotten" is a past participle of get.
While out of favor in the English language, it is still found in Merriam-Webster’s, American Heritage, and Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary.

"gotten." Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary. MICRA, Inc. 12 Nov. 2008. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gotten>.

MsPicketToYou said...

am totally over Heroes. blah blah super powers, conspiracy, whatevs. Bones is great; I secretly heart Boreanz and kind of want to be Bones. it's the 2am shows that my tivo adores: especially the one with the english woman speaking to dead people. i loves me a good seance.
also -- the HORROR -- desperate housewives of atlanta which i watch mostly to see if Carolyn will show up in the background.

Meg said...

Yeah I've kind of gone off CSI: Vegas....and I've asked the same question myself. WHY can't they turn on the dang lights?! I still like CSI:NY though.

Bones is fantabulous!!

Dirty Jobs, Myth Busters, House all faves. I like the dry humour in House. Oh...and my newest discovery (even though they're now on the 4th season)...WEEDS! Seriously, if you've never watched, you totally should.

I need to get me a TiVo.