6/05/2009

Last One Standing Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

A few weeks ago I had posted that I was coming down with a horrible case of bronchitis....which ended up being true. What I didn't tell you was that I ended up getting to the peak of the sickness during the weekend, and dragged my ass to the local Urgent Care. The medical professional there told me I just "had a cold" and sent me on my way.

Three days later I went to my regular doctor and was given all sorts of drugs and an earful of the lovely medical professionals that took an oath to do no harm.

I've been off the antibiotic for a week now. And yesterday it came back - with a vengeance.

Now, because I'm nothing if not honest (and my mother will never let me live it down) I will be truthful and tell you that I didn't exactly finish the whole ten days of the antibiotic. However, in my defense (which there is little of) they were really big ass horse pills, and I really was feeling better....and seriously....shouldn't seven days of a big ass horse pill be enough!?!

Anyway, so I called my doctor this morning and basically begged and pleaded to please not make me drive all the way back in. It's exactly what it was before, and clearly we didn't kill it off the first time. I did, however, conveniently leave out the part of not taking all the prescription.

She took pity on me and decided to "bump it up a notch" and "let's make sure we kill it all this time" and prescribed me something new.

I'm curled into bed with my big jug of water, and just read the back panel of this new drug that she gave me.....

....used for treating infections caused by certain bacteria....also used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.....

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!!!! An antibiotic that is also used for freakin' anthrax! I'll be sleeping soundly tonight with the knowledge that I'm not only treating my resistant bronchitis, but if there is a biological attack on my small town...I may be the only survivor.

4 comments:

DKC said...

That is completely awesome! I never finish my antibiotics either. I hope this one does the trick - it better!

Aunt Becky said...

I normally would lecture you about the antibiotics because I'm a nurse and I've given this lecture many times before, but today? Get better, lover.

Meg said...

I don't think I've finished a full course of antibiotics since I was a kid. I have an aversion to big ass horse pills....it's called a wicked gag reflex.

Feel better!!

mumma boo said...

Feel better!