So I sat down tonight to watch The Amazing Race, and as usual it's running late because 60 minutes is running late, because some football ran into overtime. I'm very used to this. Any 8:00 primetime slot on a Sunday always runs the risk of getting pushed back a little because of football.  I typically don't have a problem with this because it's usually only about 15 to 20 minutes that I have to wait.

Tonight it was an hour and 15 minutes.  And it wasn't even a football game I gave a crap about.

Here is the problem.  I'm not allowed to watch the news.  But it's hard to set the tivo up for "whenever 60 minutes MIGHT end", so I ended up just watching it so I would be there when my show started.  And of course they ended up doing a whole thing on H1N1.  Like I wasn't already convinced that this damn Swine Flu was going to kill us already - now I have to watch the experts tell me it's going to kill us.

It was a fairly fatalistic segment - Sweet 16 year old boy, perfectly healthy, now on a ventilator in ICU - bottom line was GET THE H1N1 VACCINE.  No need to tell me twice! I hear you! I've recently been told by my doctor that I have a compromised immune system because of asthma - so I even fall into the category of the folks that REALLY should get this vaccine! They even provided this handy website to go to find out where and when the vaccines will be!

Awesome!  While waiting for my guilty pleasure show - I'll go check it out! The POWERS of the internet! My health right at my fingertips!


Easy enough...Click on your state...Click H1N1...and it'll tell you where to go and when.

Click on MY state...."PAGE NOT FOUND"

Assholes.


So, what about y'all? Are you going to get the vaccine WHEN it becomes available? Or are you going to take your chances?

(if you are interested - go here - it's actually a well put together site - http://www.flu.gov/)

8 comments:

justmakingourway said...

I plan to get a flu shot at the very least. (And if I hadn't been battling the world's longest cold for the last two weeks, I'd already have it done!) My kids have already had theirs. We don't have the H1N1 vaccine yet, but I'm all for getting it.

What they really need to develop is an immunity shot to getting a paper cut on your eye!

Tracie said...

I'm not sure. We have all had our seasonal flu shots. We were planning on getting the H1N1, too. But I'm hearing conflicting report about the necessity of it/safety of it. And I'm not sure that there will be enough vaccine in our area for everyone anyway.

KidSister said...

Shoot! I fall into at least 3 categories of additional H1N1 risk! Pregnant, asthma, AND "young"... I'm doomed...
Already got the regular flu shot but H1N1 is not yet available...

SmartAssMom said...

Tell me about it, I am officially a germaphobe now! I got the seasonal shot already but I don't think we qualify for the H1N1 when it's available.
I'm tempted to throw myself in front of the needle when we take Sabrina to get her shot.

Meg said...

Boy spawn has asthma. He gets a cold, chances are it settles on his chest and he often gets pneumonia (fun times!) but my doc has always told us NOT to get the flu vaccine (the normal one). And now we've been told not to get H1N1 either.

Will I ignore her and get it anyway? Probably not. H1N1 is not prevalent here.

And you? STOP WATCHING THAT STUFF!!

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

After reading today in the paper how concerned docs in our area are about the kids who are dying from it who had no underlying health issues... oh yeah, we need to get this done.

Aunt Juicebox said...

I'm no more concerned about h1n1 than I am about the regular old flu, they both kill people. I've had the flu, I've lived through it. I get a shot some years if it's convenient, or if it's needed (due to close contact with someone who can't get the vaccine such as an infant). I doubt I'll get the h1n1 vaccine unless it's somehow convenient to do so, as in I'm walking through Walgreens and they are giving them out that day. We'll see.

Pearl said...

Have never had a flu shot and have no plans for the H1N1 shot, but I also don't appear to be in any particular risk group so feel okay about that.

Of course, I DO take public transportation -- and that's a lot of people to run into on a daily basis. Hmmm. Might need to re-think...

Pearl