1/14/2010

Going Public Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

Some of you may remember when I admitted here that I was a little crazy, and probably in some need of therapy or at the very least some prescription medication. Now, while some of you may think it was 'brave' to admit my issue here, the truth is, none of you know me and couldn't pick me out of line up if given the chance. So, it wasn't all that brave. Additionally, outside of my immediate family, most of my friends don't know I'm crazy.  So, admitting here was more of a "I have to tell someone or go even more crazy, and I'm sure as shit not going to tell someone that actually comes to my house".

Since then things have been about the same. The night long panic attacks have been less, I'll admit, but the constant worrying over things is still always there. Problem is that the older she gets, the more activities there are and the more she's "out there".  The latest and greatest of these activities is Girl Scouts.  My girl is a Daisy now. Yes, it's all very cute and sweet and Girl Power - but I was slightly disillusioned about what the whole thing was about.  I thought at THIS age, it was mostly just going to be meetings, and coloring and songs and some stupid crap. I didn't think the girls were actually going to GO places. I mean, they are only FIVE for crying out loud.

So, last night was our third meeting.  At this point I would say I've only learned about half of the other mom's names and just learned what it means to "iron on" petals - when we got the schedule for the next three months. We spent about 30 seconds discussing each item and quickly moved on to the next...and this is when my heart palpitations kicked in.  One of the activities involves dropping our girls off and THEN LEAVING THEM for quite some time. Even as I type these words I realize what a complete and total asshole I sound like for even freaking out about this, but my immediate thought was "over my dead body".

Here's the thing.  I don't know these people. I only hired a babysitter after she babysat for a friend of mine for over two years. But I just found it shocking that not one Mom had any questions about this outing. Everyone just nodded their head, and we moved on.  So, I think I might have inadvertently gone public last night with my...issues. With my daughters Girl Scout Troop. "Are you going to be responsible for our girls? Who's going to watch them? If I drop off my daughter DO YOU GUARANTEE ON YOUR LIFE THAT SHE WILL BE THERE WHEN I GET BACK?"

I never really got firm answers to my questions, but I did get some funny looks, and a few ladies asked me if I only had one child.

Yea, like I haven't heard THAT before.

10 comments:

MommaKiss said...

I'm crazy, too - happy to be in such grand company!

My kid, I'm wicked happy to leave him (or even both of them) overnight w/ people I know - as often as they want them. I sleep well, drink a lot, even read my own books. But an event? I'd be the same - over my dead body. I'm not even ready to accept he's going to be on a school bus later this year.

Anonymous said...

You don't have any to spare when you only have one!!

Liz Mays said...

I was very, very careful about leaving my kids too. You have every right!

Lisa said...

Ummm, you don't have issues. You are being a parent. I am VERY protective of my Macs. You have every right to ask questions and expect SOMEONE is going to be responsible. I got your back.

justmakingourway said...

Hmmmmm. I knew there was a reason to avoid Girl Scouts! (If not for the biggest reason - that I would eat all those damn cookies and then have to pay for them!)

The818 said...

The more I read about raising a girl, the more I want to stuff my 3 mos old back in my belly so I can evade the inevitable girl scout outings and Mom hating. I would have done the same thing.

Glad I found your blog. Great post.

Tracie said...

It's your right to be concerned. If you don't feel comfortable tell them and go along. I know in our Cub Scout troop we would never not allow a parent to accomany their child to an activity. (In fact, I'd rather the parents be more involved. It's not free babysitting.)

PS As Aunt Becky says "We're all quite mad here".

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh shit. I leave mine with any warm body. Ok, not really. Who says they have to be warm?

(Although I am the troop leader... so I'm with them at every meeting and every outting. Shhh don't tell anyone.)

mumma boo said...

You have every right to ask questions and be concerned! Do what I did - volunteer to chaperone on the field trip. Then stop doing what I did or you'll get sucked into being the troop cookie mom. ;-)

SmartAssMom said...

I'll bet this is why I was never in Girl Scouts!

Can you be a chaperone? Best of both worlds (ish)?