12/15/2009

From My House To Yours Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

I meant to do this last year, but for one reason or another I didn't. I'm sure it was an important reason....I'm sure if I tried really hard I could come up with one - but let's just chalk it up to drinking too much around the holidays and I just plum forgot about it.

As much as I despise the damn thing - we have a fake tree.  It does have it's advantages, I'll give you that.  We don't have to go out in the 10 degree weather, fight over a tree, haul the freakin' thing home and then pray we don't kill it - or worse - burn the house down because I won't turn the lights off.

Because, really, what's the point of having the tree if I can't have the lights on all the time.

So, we have a good size fake tree - that takes about two weeks to fluff to the appropriate level each year.  Pretty much by the time it's fluffed to my satisfaction, we getting ready to celebrate my birthday in January and we have to put the thing away.

Every year my husband brings it out, puts it together and puts the lights on.  Then I take them all off and do it again, because he sucks at it.  No, really he does.  I'm sure he does it on purpose because ONE DAY I'll eventually give in and not make him do it - but that will never happen.  I would much rather be a martyr about it.

And now that she's old enough, my daughter helps me decorate. Most of our ornaments all "mean" something. Bought on a vacation, given to us by friends and family.  And that is what I would like to share with you today - some of our "treasures".




This is what my older sister calls me.  She made this for me in college.  My sister majored in Drama in college.  Apparently after Drama class they had Arts & Crafts class.  

 
This is 2007 White House Christmas ornament.  I have, like, every single one of these. Since they were created.  So, I have like 47 trees in my house. That's not true...But I do have a lot of them.  My folks give me the next one every year....I'm looking forward to having a small "White House" tree one day for just these ornaments.

 
I have no idea what the hell this is.  It's cheap and plastic.  This is filler.

 
This is what happens when you let a 5 year old decorate.  Now, I can do what MY mom did and wait until we all go to bed, and change everything back around to my liking.  If she notices I'm sure I can make something up on the fly...I'll sleep well knowing that one day when she has kids of her own and they want to put all the filler ornaments on the top, the Christopher Radko's on the bottom and they lump everything so heavy on one side that it's tipping.....She'll call me and say "Oooohhhhhh!"

 
No true Texan doesn't at least have two or three of these on their tree.  I'm not sure if that's the rule if you are still IN Texas....But if you are ripped out of your homeland...You have to declare yourself.

 
Every year we used to go to the beach - and at the end of the week - my folks would give out "awards" to everyone on the trip. One year I got a "sunburn" award, I think I got a "sandcastle" award once.  This was my "Bite Me" Beach Award. Awesome.

 
This is just so you know who I married.  Please send help.




7 comments:

Lisa said...

Well, alas, I have found our differences. I could care less how the lights are put on the tree. I am the one who does it and I am NOT a perfectionist. It is my least fave job and I "get 'er done" as soon as possible. I do not have a Texas tree ornament, but then again, I get to celebrate this magical holiday in my homestate. Texas is everywhere, so I don't really need it on the tree. BTW, I have 2 boys and we at least 6 Star Wars ornaments on our tree. I am numb to it. Thank you for sharing and enjoy the holiday. Lisa

mumma boo said...

We, too, have joined the dark side and purchased a fake tree. We had a real one for a few years, but last year, when we not only had to purchase it but also PAY to get rid of it, we said never again. Both kids have knocked the tree over at least once, and any ornaments bearing even the slightest resemblance to spherical objects are safely tucked away. So our tree pretty much looks like Hallmark threw up on it. Woot!

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

We have 14 trees and I USUALLY decorate them all myself with the kids standing by crying that they want to do it.

Well this year I COULDN'T and they bitched and moaned the whole time while decorating...

Sheesh.

Meg said...

Oh you'd be so ashamed of my tree this year. It actually looks quite pretty when the living room is dark and the only thing lit up is the tree with its fiber optics and everything. But during the day? HIDEOUS!

I want a "Bite Me" ornament!

justmakingourway said...

I always have to do the lights. My husband doesn't even try to get involved. I usually decorate the tree by myself, but my kids really wanted to help this year and I found myself having to ignore the glut of ornaments placed at the Pixie's height.

Putting it out there right now that I might steal this idea. Very fun!

MommaKiss said...

What a fun post. I love seeing other's special ornaments.

I'm a huge nutter about the lights - but the ornaments? not so much. I like letting the kids slap them on.

Aunt Juicebox said...

I stopped buying real trees years ago. I'm looking forward to the day when I no longer have to even put up the fake one. Yeah, call me Grinch if you like. I just don't enjoy the decorating.