5/08/2008

The Break Up Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

I have recently broken up with someone. Due to these hard financial times we are in - I had to sit down and have a long talk with Starbucks.

I gently explained that it wasn't him, but me. Which, in fact, is bullshit.

It's entirely him. Like a overpriced whore on every street corner - whispering in my ear that $5.00 for a freakin' cup of coffee isn't all that bad. "Go ahead Kerrie...", he sweetly says, "have the special of the day. What's an extra two bucks when you know you want it. No, those calories don't count at all."

It's over. I'm not looking back.

Unless it's a Sunday morning and we're driving around town.
Or if a friend of mine buys.
Or if someone gives me a gift card.
Or if I'm having a really bad day.

But other than that. Starbucks is dead to me.

Because of that, I am now getting my morning caffeine fix from the grocery store. Large breakfast blend coffee and a bagel costs me $2.13. Not bad, huh?

The bagel is stale and the coffee tastes like crap - but I will continue to do this on principal alone.

So this morning, during my regular morning adventure into the local Bloom, I notice the woman in front of me with 3 children, one baby and two under the age of four, buying 3 gallons of milk, formula, bread, eggs and bologna. I remember thinking "It must be hard to manage three children. She must be very tired".

She bought all of her items with this strange looking coupon thing. I could only assume it was a food stamp of some kind. I thought again "Wow, that must be REALLY hard to manage. Down on her luck with three children and still buying things that are (for the most part) good for her kids. Milk, bread, eggs...formula."

She finished purchasing her items, rallied her children and headed out.

As I paid for my shit coffee and three day old bagel I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye.

Food Stamp Mother of three was stuffing 20 dollar bills into the lottery ticket machine.

4 times.

Seriously??? No - really! Seriously??

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Got here via Dad Gone Mad's links of love and had to say...

OMG doesn't that make your head explode? I also like standing in line behind the food stamp user, only to follow them out and see they are getting into a shiny new Escalade.

KABOOM.

That was my head.

Anonymous said...

Also here via the Links of Love, and can I say that I completely agree with you on every single count? 100%.

And Starbucks was totally cheating on you with me.

Becs said...

Im also here via Links of Love.

This kind of stuff seriously pisses me off. My boyfriend did the "Big Sister, Big Brother" program and he would tell me all the crazy things he would see in the projects. Like people who would have huge pimped out Escalades or how his "little brother" had this huge tv. I just dont understand it.

C-Rah said...

Sad, ain't it?

And don't even talk about Starbucks. Their pastries are making me do the bulge belly dance.

Anonymous said...

Hello, more linky love for you! Well done for your strength on the caffeine front. I only managed to give it up when I stopped working in London and no longer went past one everyday. As for food stamp/lottery woman - don't get me started on that soap box!

Becs said...

Holy crap. That comment you just left me about my pants had me laughing so freakin hard. Thanks for making my day a little brighter!

me. said...

Sorry, I was reading your post and somehow dazed off into my Starbucks happy place......

You should give him another chance. (He SO did not tell me to tell you that....)

Aunt Becky said...

Bwahahaha.

I laugh because I don't know what else TO do.

Liz T. said...

Here's the secret: Starbuck's brewed coffee is $1.60 (or so - YMMV) for 12 oz of liquid love that does not taste like ass.

(Visiting from Links of Love too but I'll be back)

Big Kahuna said...

Here's the deal ... I have a Starbucks gift card that I don't and won't use. I prefer 7-11 coffee to Starbucks ... and the people in 7-11 are friendlier than the yuppies in Starbucks.

I'll give you the card to use when you feel like you deserve a treat.

But sorry ... I didn't come from Links to anything ... just went straight to the MiniVanSoapBox

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, that irritates me SOOO much!!! I saw a guy one time buying the makings of a really good cocktail- lots of alcohol and limes. He paid for the alcohol with cash and then used his food stamp card to pay for the LIMES!!!! I thought I was going to die! :)
And I'm with you on the Starbucks thing- I've taken to buying Trader Joe's coffee and just making it at home. Less satisfying than Sbucks but way better than convenience store coffee! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Cannot even begin to tell you how restrained I would have to be in that situation. It baffles my mind.

Dto3 said...

$2.13 for breakfast - That's hard to beat. I've long since abandoned the Grande Non-fat 2 splenda extra hot latte and just go with the bold drip. That and a piece of the cinnamon swirl coffee cake will run you $4.01. (Yes, I carry around a lot of pennies.) It's not $2.13, but the coffee's still good and the cake's not stale. I admire your fortitude.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Seriously, nowadays I'd rather have a gift card for gasoline.

Thanks for visiting my blog!!

-B said...

After Becs' comment, I had to go read her blog to see what comment you left her that was so funny.

You owe me a new keyboard- since I snorted cafe mocha (from Panera, I am so ashamed) out my nose all over it.

You rock.

damon said...

...and then she loaded the three children into her Mercedes station wagon and drove back to Beverly Hills to await the lotto results from her jacuzzi.

I've seen it a thousand times.

Sarah said...

my sister and I decided to make a late night trip (about 11:45) to the 24 hour grocery store on Wednesday night. Checking out in front of us was a woman was 4 daughters, 3 of them in elementary school.
It made me so sad for them because here they are at the grocery store at almost midnight and they're expected to get up and go to school the next day.