There's probably nothing that irritates me more than being wrong. That's not to say I can't be wrong - it's been known to happen from time to time. However, when you are so convinced that you are RIGHT, to only be proven that you are very very wrong...well, that just sucks.

It makes it worse when it was your mother that kept telling you were wrong - and you didn't believe her.

Obviously this has happened quite a few times in my life.

Like that boy that she told me I shouldn't date. I, of course, told her that he was misunderstood and really a fine upstanding gentlemen....Until the cops showed up at my folks house looking for him.

Or the time she told me to stop reading the internet while pregnant. Yea, I didn't listen to that advice either...and I'm pretty sure that's why I'm in therapy now.

And for the last few years she's been telling me that I may as well just drink a bottle of rat poisen for all the Diet Coke I consume on a daily basis.

Yea, I didn't listen to that either. 

Some of you may know Aunt Becky.  Over the last few months she's been having these really bad migraines - and her doctors put her on some of the same medications that I'm on for my migraines.  Turns out when she started taking it - She totally lost her taste for Diet Coke.  To people like us, this is devastating.  So I'm reading through her comments and got a pretty good impression that there are A LOT of people out there that feel the same as my Mom.  Aspartame is Poison!  Diet Coke was sent from the Devil! 

Since physical therapy doesn't seem to be working as effectively as I would like, and seeing as I'm running out of doctors AND ideas....I thought "what the hell!"

I'm day five Diet Coke Free....and damnit if I don't actually feel a little better.

Let me stress a little.

I'm not ready to throw my meds out the door - or change my blog name to Soda is for Sissies.....but still.

I told my mom yesterday about my progress....You know what she said?

"You mean what I'VE been telling you for 2 years didn't convince you...but comments from people you've never met on a blog did?"

Well...................yea.

13 comments:

justmakingourway said...

Of course it didn't register when she told you! The Mr. often jokes that I have to confirm something he tells me with several other members of my family and/or friends before I actually believe him. Which is only true some of the time.

I love ya, and am happy to hear that being Diet Coke-less might be helping you...but I don't think I could do it!

Tracie said...

I have a friend who has been preaching the evils of Diet Soda to me for years. She thinks maybe I don't have fibro and just need to get off the artificial sweeteners.

I'll be following your progress. (I drink the Aunt Becky kool-aid, too.)

Margaret said...

Um, so here's my link to the blog entry I wrote on THE SAME SUBJECT (Well, Diet Coke, though mine is breastfeeding-related). And also on the recommendation of my mother. Haha.

http://margaretslifeintransition.blogspot.com/2009/08/sleep-habits-of-young.html

-B said...

You didn't believe your mother when SHE told you...

Let's not forget your SISTER, or your BROTHER-IN-LAW- when THEY told you...

Dork.

Sara said...

You're more mature than me! I would have never let her know she was right... and hid my water in diet coke cans. :)

Brakes and Gas said...

I bet you were tempted to play it off like Diet Coke is poisen is new information to you... I've tried to pull that on the off chance my mom won't say "I've told you so."

Have you tried icy-hot patches between your shoulder blades for the migraine pain? It really helps mine, combined with pills, darkness, and frozen veggie bags on my eyes, of course.

Aunt Becky said...

I would have lied through my teeth about feeling better. Seriously. I'm sick of hearing about The Evils Of My Beloved Diet Coke (which I occasionally still drink).

I'm glad that you feel better.

Big Kahuna said...

I gave up diet Coke about a year ago. Now I drink water (it's really pretty yucky) and tea (unsweetened is difficult to find). But I have found that Scotch is a good substitute for diet Coke. It is a little more expensive, but you don't need to drink 24 oz to be satisfied.

I tried wine, but it has too many calories ... So I recommend Scotch and/or Canadian Whisky. And if you have enough of it ... you'll sleeep early and well.

Just tryin' to help

mumma boo said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. It always sucks when you have to give up a favorite to get healthy. I'm still weeping over the fact that my beloved chocolate is verboten now. *sniff*

And, um, yeah, I wouldn't have admitted it to her either. You're a brave soul. ;)

Meg said...

Of course your mom's advice wasn't good enough....my mom's isn't either. That's why they're the mom! Geez. When will they understand?!

I am horribly addicted to soda and I keep weaning myself off it, suffering through the caffeine withdrawal headaches for a week, and drinking nothing but water for a month and then someone gives me a soda at a friend's house and I'm screwed. It's like being an alcoholic, without the buzz. (Or so my alcy uncle tells me)

Good luck to you! I might just have to join you and wean myself again.

MommaKiss said...

frikkin moms. They not only tend to be right, the like telling you over and over and over.

the aspertame? I had no idea. None. That would rule out my diet dr. pepper, too. Crikey. Luckily I'm not suffering like you ladies.

Aunt Juicebox said...

I thought I already commented on this, but with the freaking sickness! and blogger behaving a little funkily, it's all a blur.

Anyway. I think ALL soda is the debil. It's full of chemicals and sugar is no better for you (or your teeth!) than artificial sweeteners. Given my druthers, I'd rather take my chances with the fake stuff, honestly. However, I had to kick the habit because of my kidney stones, and overall, I have felt much better physically, and mentally as well. My only downfall is that I like my rum with a little Coke, and NOT the diet variety. I actually think the Coke zero tastes better than Diet Coke, and I believe that Splenda is less harmful than aspartame, but that's personal opinion, no medical proof whatsoever. Since I've been on a low carb diet, I've eaten a lot less of refined, processed foods, and physically speaking, the changes are well worth the "sacrifice".

Mostly, I drink water, sometimes with some of that powdered drink mix from a tube to shake things up a little. Ice cold, and filtered - water isn't bad at all and once you get used to it, you find yourself craving it. Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

At least you realized when the cops showed up looking for him that he was bad news?