4/03/2008

Parking Lot Narc Stumble Upon Digg It! Add to Delicious Add to Technorati

|

It may surprise most of you that I'm really not a confrontational person. I'll stand up for myself and my family if the situation arises, but more times than not I'll just walk away from a situation and then talk some smack later.

Such was not the case this morning.

About a week ago during my normal morning drop off at preschool, I noticed a red car in the parking lot that appeared to have a small child still in it. And no parent.

I'll let a lot of things slide, however this is not one of them. I do not live in some back road country town where everyone is friends and we drive our John Deere's to the bowing alley. I live in a suburb, yes, but a suburb outside of a city that's usually ranked in the most dangerous of cities. Leaving a child in a car - under any circumstance - is not acceptable. Ever.

However, don't judge lest you be judged - I decided to wait it out. I sat in my car to make sure this kid actually HAD a parent, somewhere. Eventually someone came out of my preschool and waltzed over to his car, got in and drove away.

Maybe it was a fluke, maybe he just lost a loved one and is overcome with grief, maybe his child really ISN'T a child, but a very very small adult.

Against my better judgment, I let it go and didn't say or do anything.

Until today.

Same car. Same child.

I waited again - but this time made really ugly looks at him and rolled my eyes. Dropped my kid off and went straight to the office where I then told on him.

They, like me, were upset. They thanked me for informing them and assured me that they would take care of it.

I'm not exactly sure what that means - could be a strongly worded letter or an ass kicking by the back dumpster. I'm fine with either way.

If by some chance YOU are the parent that left your child in the car and are reading this right now, I will apologize for ratting you out. However, unless you've been living under a rock for the last 20 years - we don't leave kids in cars anymore. In addition, I've now twice sat in that parking lot and babysat your kid while you were doing other things, thus making me late for work.

You owe me $50 bucks.

5 comments:

Backpacking Dad said...

Good on ya!

I'd have...I don't know...left a terse note scratched into the door of his car.

C-Rah said...

Good job. I wouldda been slightly miffed myself.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh a woman after my own heart. Good for you! I have done the same thing and would again in a heartbeat.

$50? I'd charge him double for short notice babysitting.

Karen said...

Good for you, someone needs to tell this parent that it is NOT ok to do that to your child, especially in this day and age.

Sincerely Iowa said...

I'm here from DGM. LOVE YOUR BLOG!

And the parent that left their kid in the car?

NOT COOL. i would have said something!